A beginner’s free introduction on how to work with the Sanskrit alphabet.
Learn how to identify syllable sound bites in order to sound sutras for yourself.
This course is experiential not academic. I myself being self taught understand the challenges which can arise and know how they can be overcome. Sanskrit is more than just letters, they are the energies of life where each letter is a different energy of the One. Pronunciation requires precision of articulation in order for the energy to arise. Hence there are four positions of the tongue in the mouth area and the fifth is labial with the lips. Once you have mastered these, you will appreciate the construction and beauty of Sanskrit as a spiritual language. The sanskrit alphabet is called devanagri – messengers of the Gods.
The course will be kept as simple and straight forward as possible. It will be particularly helpful to the yogic community. Just as there are asanas for the body there are asyas for the sound, you have to sound correctly in order for the magic to happen. Important aspects will be brought out but there will be some generalisation to give a flavour and encourage confidence to build. Like any new skill this requires practice, the more you do yourself the faster you learn.
Subjects covered are:
- Vowels with their 5 places of articulation and associated 5 elements
- Identifying and using vowels in devanagri text
- 20 consonants with associated places of articulation
- How consonants & vowels form sound bites
- 4 nasal ‘n’ nasikas (essences of the elements)
- Semi vowels and associated cakras
- The ‘r’ positions
- 3 siblant ‘s’ (3 gunas)
- Word construction
As Sanskrit is the energies of existence, it has many extra benefits on physical, mental as well as spiritual levels:
- Visual and hearing sense perceptions are improved
- It helps to calm and focus the mind, expanding intelligence
- The resonances vibrate at a cellular level aiding healing and cleansing
- Eases depression and negativity by acknowledging the Universal
- Helps learning and memory abilities, encouraging creativity
- Enhances well being through embracing the Divine
There will be summary handouts for practice and videos on Youtube. Specific clarification of sounds can be sent through Whatsapp and I am available via email for any queries.
The corresponding handouts will be available via my website www.oshadhimeditation.co.uk
If there is interest I will be offering this course free on line Zoom in 2021 whilst we are in lockdown. I would stress it will also need independent study and effort in order to achieve the basics. Email: email@example.com to register interest.
Please visit my YouTube channel to see my videos.